Day-1 "W" Trek at Torres del Paine

Day 1 Mountain Lodge Paine Grande to Refugio Lago Grey
Picked up by Via Paine bus (paid $12,000 at the hostel for return ticket) at my hostel Singing Lamb in Puerto Natales at 7:30. After 1 stop at a café/souvenir shop, we arrived at Laguna Amarga at about 9:30 where everybody had to get off the bus to buy the entrance ticket to the National Park ($15,000).
Trekkers doing the W from east to west got off and start their trekking.from here, or taking another shuttle bus to Hotel Las Torres and starting the trek from there.
I got off the next stop, Pudeto, to catch the catamaran to Mountain Lodge Paine Grande.
We arrived at Pudeto about 11:00, but the catamaran would not go before 12:00, so I took my picnic lunch here. I bought bread and ham at big supermarket Unimarc the day before at Puerto Natales.
The catamaran started to sail at 12:00 for about 30 minutes. The view of snowy peaks of Paine Grande and Cuernos del Paine in the front, and the color of Lago Pehoe were beautiful.
Arriving at the Mountain Lodge Paine Grande, I took the path on the right, passed the Guardia post, then headed to the left to the north.
According to the map, the distance from Mountain Lodge Paine Grande to Refugio Lago Grey was 3.5 hours.
I started the trek at 12:45 and arrived at the Refugio Lago Grey at 16:15, exactly 3.5 hours. I walked with Cathryn, a nice Australian lady.
We checked in, made reservation for the dinner and put our bag in the room. We were lucky we got a room with 4 beds and only Cathryn and I were in the room. I paid with US dolar, but the recepcionist didn’t give me the price without tax (if we paid with US dolar, we could have been exempted for paying 19% tax).
The refugio was located just near the lake and we could see some ice chunks in the lake, but not really the glaciers.
A Canadian guy told me that the mirador with amazing view was just 10 minutes walking from the refugio.
The dinner was started 7pm, and this time I met with my new friends, which would do the same path of W trek. In addition to Cathryn, they were a Dutch-US couple, Jasper and Kate; German-French couple, Martin and Sicyl; and New Jersey couple, Bob and Amber.
After the dinner, since it was still not dark, I decided to walk alone to the mirador. After 10 minutes walk, I saw a spectacular view of the Lago Grey glacier. From the hill top, I saw glaciers with an island in the middle. The hill I stood up was in the bay where a lot of floating ice chunks were accumulated. Since it was getting dark, I decided to return the next morning to see the sunrise here.
At Laguna Amarga Bus Stop, the entrance to Torres del Paine National Park

Pile of bags of the trekkers on the catamaran (ferry) at Lago Pehoe

Paine Grande and Cuernos del Paine from Lago Pehoe, the dock of catamaran

Trekking Path to Refugio Grey

Amazing Lago Grey lake, with the glaciers in the far

Far view of the glaciers of Lago Grey

Refugio Lago Grey, where I stayed on the first night trekking

the view from Lago Grey mirador

How cool this ice! (view from Lago Grey mirador)

No comments:

Post a Comment